The California Building, Balboa Park

The California Building, with its ornate facade and blue-and-gold dome, is seen through the trees from the 450-foot Bashor Bridge inside the San Diego Zoo.

Designed by architect Bertram Goodhue, the California Building was erected for the 1915–16 Panama-California Exposition and served as the grand entry to the Expo.

The red-roof buildings in the foreground are part of Benchley Plaza. The plaza is named after Belle Jennings Benchley, known as “The Zoo Lady,” who was the director of the San Diego Zoo from 1927 to 1953 and credited for transforming the zoo into a world-class institution.

Author: editor

editor