The Douglas C-124C Globemaster II

IMG_0267
Visiting the Douglas C-124C Globemaster II at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Pima, Arizona

Built by Douglas Aircraft, this Globemaster II was one of 447 built, and was the largest aircraft in use by the U.S. Air Force at the time.  It carried over 200 passengers or large cargos that could not fit in other aircraft.

The Globemaster II entered service in 1950 and remained in use into the 1970s. The C-124C version shown here held more powerful engines, weather radar and improved de-iceing equipment.