Emma Wood State Beach is located along Pacific Coast Highway between Santa Barbara and Ventura. The area is a favorite destination for swimming, surfing and fishing. Catches include perch, bass, cabezon and corbina.
We’re looking north towards Dulah, Solimar Beach, Mondo’s Beach, and Faria Beach.
The park is named for Emma Grubb Wood, who owned the land at the time of her death in 1944. Her surviving husband, Adrian “Buddy” Wood, donated the land to the State of California in 1956 in her memory.
Originally the beach was part of the 8,877 acre (35.92 km2) Mexican land grant, Cañada de San Miguelito, given in 1846 by Governor Pío Pico to Ramón Rodríguez. It later became part of the 30,000 acre Taylor Ranch controlled by the Grubb family. Emma gained control of the Taylor Ranch with her brother in 1936.